Pavia is a typically Portuguese Alentejo’s town in the Council of Mora, with a population of about 1.600 inhabitants, that was the head of the municipality between 1287 and the beginning of the 19th century. This territory was populated since pre-historical ages, proved by many megalithic monuments existent in that area. The origins of this population agglomerate, the more ancient in the council of Mora, goes back to a nucleus of Italian immigrants that settled the instances of D. Dinis who gave them the first royal charter in 1287. In 1486 it would be granted by D. João II to the Count of Borba, with successor rights.


This town belonged, by donation, to several noblemen and to the Crown. The position of fenced defense, of difficult access through the North, suggests the feudal origin of the future “burgh”. The urban edifications lined along the way in ridge translate a formations and growth process of Low Middle Age. The town of Pavia is nowadays composed by two townships Pavia and Malarranha.


Its history is intimately linked to two well-known individualities that lived there. Fernando Namora, that besides being a doctor who practiced in this place, also wrote about these people and its beautiful landscapes that surround the town, leaving a legacy composed by some paintings that portrait thos same landscapes; and Manuel Ribeiro, consecrated painter that would later adopt the name of the town, from whom there is a museum with several originals of recognized artistic quality.


Patrimony:

  • Pavia Dolmen, one of the most important in Portugal, was lifted between the 4th and 3rd millennium b.C., transformed in the S. Dinis Chapel, is classified as a National Monument.
  • Parish Church of Pavia is built in the 16th century inside the old and destroyed walls that protected the fortified palace of the Counts of Redondo, in an archaic style of the fortress temples, offering a majestic and severe perspective of the castellated silhouette.
  • House Museum of Manuel Ribeiro de Pavia, specially dedicated to the artist with the same name, where are exposed originals of the painter, with special reference to the drawings with China ink and hand coloured lithographies, among other pieces.
  • Cromlechs of the Monte das Fontainhas Velhas, identified by remains of cromlech composed of six megalithics of the almendro type, five considered “in situ” although only three are erected. They are monuments of pre-history, being associated to the cult of the stars and nature, being considered a place of religious rituals and tribal encounters.
  • The Medieval Bridge over Ribeira de Têra and the Watermills of the Moinho Derrubado also constitutes motives of compulsory visit in the village.
       
Gastronomy:

Traditional alentejana cuisine has a special place in any of the restaurants in the council of Mora. Asparagus Migas, Tope fish soup and dishes made of hunting are some of specialties that can be eaten in them.


The Municipality:
Pavia is situated in the council of Mora, district of Évora.
Mora is the head of a municipality with about 6.000 inhabitants and is limited north by the municipality of Ponte de Sôr, northeast by Avis, east by Sousel, southeast by Arraiolos and west by Coruche. Parts of this municipality are the villages of Pavia, Cabeção, Brotas and Mora.
This council received the royal charter by D. Manuel in 1519.

For other useful information and details check the website: www.cm-mora.pt

© Monte do Cuca. All rights reserved.