Borba is a portuguese city in the district of Évora, Alentejo region and Central Alentejo sub region, with about 4600 inhabitants. It is the smallest city in Alentejo. It is the head of a municipality with around 7500 inhabitants that is subdivided in 4 villages. The municipality is limited northeast by the council o Monforte, east by Elvas, southeast by Vila Viçosa, southwest by Redondo and west by Estremoz. The villages of Borba are Matriz, Orada, Rio de Moinhos and São Bartolomeu.

Patrimony
  • The Council Court was situated in the Old Square that still is in the social centre of the city of Borba. In the end of the 18th century, during an urban reorder project, the present Council Court was built. In its interior are highlighted the noble staircase, the painted ceilings of the Audience Room and the Chamber Room. The current building has a U construction, typical of the 17th and 18th century palaces. In the 20th century the estate was valued with the appliance of tiles of the Viúva Lamego Factory, representing allusive scenes to the Battle of Montes Claros.
  • The Fount of Bicas was designed as a piece of urban order, helping to create a new square, the current Republic Square. In its composition we can see a perfect order and water distribution. In the centre were placed three taps. Today, the population still believes that each one of the taps is destined to each marital status: single, married and widowed and that those who drink from them will always return to Borba. From the sides, lower, are located the taps destined to children. From the fountain was also part a water drinker for animals and a washing place. In the back of the Bicas Fount was built an artificial lake, which represents the place where the great barbell was found, that gave name to the town of Borba.
  • The Walls of the Castle of Borba, that D. Dinis order to be built to commemorate the signing of the Treaty of Alcanices that still establishes the borders between Portugal and Spain. Borba assumed an important military function because in case of invasion it was the last defence before Estremoz and Vila Viçosa. In this castle was written on the bloodiest pages of Portugal’s History, when in the year of 1662, the Spanish army sieged Borba and found strong resistance. As punishment, the mayor and his men were hung as traitors. In its interior the visitor can admire the Prison Tower, the Clock Tower and the Palace where the hung mayor had lived.
  • The Commemorative Monument of the Battle of Montes Claros that despite being a monument that remembers a military victory, is a poem to Peace and tolerance that remains across the centuries. In the interior is highlighted the white and black marble altarpiece of the second half of the 18th century.
  • The Noble House of the Morgados Cardosos, whose palace was a fundamental piece of urbanization plan, with an orthogonal trait that intended to urbanize all the west side of the town of Borba. In the ground floor, part of the windows was false and made in masonry. They were made to keep the harmony of the building. A magnificent seven hundredth Portuguese palace in which you can also admire a noble staircase made of beautiful region marbles.
  • St. Anthony’s Church was founded in 1630 by the Brotherhood of Saint Anthony that had for its maintenance several agricultural estates that generated high incomes. In the front side, inside the entrance fronton there is a popular sculpture in clay of Estremoz representing the patron saint. In its interior, you can admire the magnificent marble altarpiece, from 1750. Laterally, there are two other marble altarpieces, from late 18th century, one dedicated to São Francisco Xavier and the other to the Holly Family.
  • Saint Bartholomew Church that through the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries was successively valued with several artistic contributions. Between 1669 and 1673 the church was covered with tiles with a tapestry pattern that came from Lisbon. In 1731 was built the altarpiece in golden carving. Another preciousness of this Church is the Chapel of the Holly Sacrament, built in 1786 and 1790. In its interior there is a painting that represents the “Triumph of the Holly Sacrament”.
  • The Parish Church that possesses ten chapels. Each one of them belonged to a brotherhood and all of them possess artistic contributions from the 17th and 18th centuries. The most beautiful chapel is undoubtedly the Souls Chapel, all decorated with three marble altars and paintings. There also a highlight to the Chapel of the Holly Sacrament that belonged to the most important brotherhood in the town of Borba, to which only nobles could belong.
  • The Monument of Montes Claros ordered to be built by the Regent Prince D. Pedro that ruled instead of his brother D. Afonso signals the place where the Battle of Montes Claros took place. Here, was the strategic road between Vila Viçosa and Estremoz, the Marquis of Caracena tried to stop the Portuguese troops from helping Vila Viçosa, where the Spanish intended to destroy the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança, a symbol of the new dynasty. The Portuguese troops commanded by the Marquis of Marialva and by the Count of Galveias achieved the accomplishment of defeating the most powerful army in Europe, showing the world that the reconquer of Portugal by Spain would be an expensive, long and even impossible task. So, thanks to this battle, Peace with Spain was signed in 1668, initiating a new era of prosperity, optimism and richness for Portugal.


Gastronomy
  • The typical Alentejo gastronomy with the starters “Empadas de Borba”, olives, “enchidos”, cheeses, asparagus omelet, ham, “pezinhos de coentrada”, dogfish soup, “sopa da panela”, “açorda”, gazpacho, mint soup, the fish dishes with “coentrada” dogfish, fried dogfish, and the meat dishes such as lamb “ensopado”, the “cozido de grão à alentejana”, the roasted rabbit in clay, the “burras assadas”, the “migas à alentejana”, and finally the sweets with highlight to the regional sweet, the  “Sericaia”, the “Pão de Rala”, the “Encharcada”, the Honey Cake and the “Arroz doce”.
  • The wines of the region are also highlighted as an option of great quality and particularity in a well-known region for the election of its crops.

    For other useful information and details check the website: www.cm-borba.pt

© Monte do Cuca. All rights reserved.