Alter do Chão is a Portuguese village belonging to the District of Portalegre, Alentejo region and sub-region of High Alentejo, with about 2600 inhabitants. It is home to a town of about 4,000, subdivided into four villages. The council is limited to the northeast by the city of Portalegre, on the north by Crato, southeast by Monforte, on the south by Fronteira, southwest by Avis and west by Ponte de Sôr. The villages are Alter do Chão, Chancelaria, Cunheira and Seda.



Patrimony

  • The Alter do Chão Castle, built by D. Pedro I in 1359, in square plant with cylindrical towers and turrets crowned with battlements, Gothic doors and a square donjon tower. It belongs to the House of Bragança and is classified as a national monument.
  • The Church of Misericórdia, founded in the fourteenth century and modified in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, with a single nave interior, presbytery in marble of Estremoz, wooden side altars with canopies in golden and painted carving, cruise stone covered with blue and white tile and carved woodwork, emphasizing the porch.
  • Chapel of Santana, built in the seventeenth century, was renewed in the seventeenth /eighteenth centuries, with mural paintings currently covered with whitewash.
  • The St. Francis Church, built in the seventeenth century, with a single nave interior, gilded altars, pulpit with wooden crate from the seventeenth century, images of the sixteenth and late eighteenth century, in wood, stone and terracotta.
  • The Church of Our Lady of Joy, built in the late sixteenth century, and rebuilt in the next century. Featured by the portico of Renaissance style, and decoration in mass. It belonged to the Convent of the Holy Spirit, founded by the Carmelite barefoot monks. Based on what seems to have been the first church built in Alter do Chão.
  • Church of Jesus of Outeiro, building of the XVII / XVIII centuries  of elegant proportions, the most erudite baroque of Alter do Chão, with marble portal of Estremoz, four-sided bell tower, plant nearly centered, high altar and four side altars , decoration in tile, marble, polychrome and gilded wood and mass.
  • The Church of the Convent of St. Anthony was founded in 1617 by the Duke of Bragança D. Teodósio II, and modified in the following century. The interior is a single nave with tiles, woodwork painted and carved side chapel ordered to be built in 1784 by João Alves Barreto. The sculptures in stone and wood. Several graves emblazoned from the XVII / XVIII centuries.
  • The Chapel of St. Anthony of Olivais, built in the sixteenth century, and later partially rebuilt, lies 1 km from the town of Alter do Chão. Interiorly to highlight the main chapel, in polychrome tile of the seventeenth century.
  • The Palace and Farm of the Alamo, emblazoned house ordered to be built in 1649, has undergone important changes in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It is a rectangular building with large front of two floors with nine bay windows with wrought iron, with pediments alternately curved and straight. Richly decorated inside with tiles. The portal, surmounted by the coat of arms, which gives entrance to the farm, is from the second half of the eighteenth century. The farmhouse is typical of that century, especially a small tank with decorative masonry and luxury garden.
  • The Fountain of the Barrier was built by the City Council in 1799, near the main entrance of the Castle, in Baroque style. Interesting masonry work to the popular taste, with work in mass, shields with the coat of arms of Portugal and Alter. It has two side spouts gushing from jagged pyramids. It was removed in the early 60s, from the primitive local to the Square "The Twelve Best of Alter."
  • The Fountain of Bonecos, was built by the City Council in 1799. Similar to the Fountain of the Barrier, but more complex, had in the ends and the crowning five small sculptures that gave it the name, and of which remains a part of them. Shield with the arms of Portugal and Alter, in low relief and very clogged with lime, it is assumed that it is the Sphinx of the Prince Regent D. João. A rectangular tank and two side spouts, interesting mass work.
  • The Pillory was built in the sixteenth century, Manueline style, composed of twisted column, with plant decoration.
  • The Alter Pedroso Castle, built in the thirteenth century and donated by D. Afonso III to the Knights of Avis, was rebuilt by D. Dinis and destroyed by D.  João D 'Austria in 1662. From the primitive essence only remains a Gothic portal, parts of walls and the door of the ruined Chapel of St. Benedict inside.
    The Parish Church of Alter Pedroso, was founded in the fifteenth century, dedicated to Our Lady of Neves, and changed in the seventeenth century. Interior of a single nave, altar in gilt, portal and tower of medieval root. On the high altar, important details, and mass work decorating the interior of the temple.
  • The Bridge of Vila Formosa: Built by the Romans at the end of the century I, beginning of the century. A.C II on the Silk  Ribeira, in the Road that connects  Alter do Chão, Chança and Ponte de Sôr. Built in freestone equipped and thick padding. It consists of six equal arches each other and composed in the front by thirty-three staves and five nozzles gantry shaped. National Monument.
  • Handicrafts occupy an area of special detail in the Alentejo region, including tin, stuffing in bulrush and rattan, and saddlery.
  • The food occupies a prominent place, with a range of options for typical dishes not to be missed, as the duck rice, the pork roast, lamb stew, Alentejo “migas” , the dogfish soup, and the secret plumes of black pork, among other delicious options, accompanying with good local wine.
  • The Stable of Alter do Chão, is a mandatory stop for anyone passing through the lands of Alter do Chão. Founded in 1748 by King D. João V, the stable has worked until today and it is who owns the Iron Horse "Alter Real", Lusitanian pure blood. To learn a little about the equestrian art, learn more about these friendly and impressive animals that easily impress and captivate. The space has a ring, field hurdles, track and gallop crosse, core coupling. These spaces are especially dedicated for those who like to practice the maneuvers of a rides man, or apprentices of the same.
    Visiting Hours: Tuesday to Friday – 9h30 a.m. to 5h30 p.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays - 10h00 a.m. to 5h00 p.m.
    The guided tours start at 11h30 a.m. and in the afternoon at 3h00 p.m. Demonstrations of falconry: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays – 10h30 a.m. during summertime and 11h30, in the rest of the seasons of the year, by previous scheduling.
    Coudelaria de Alter
    
Tapada do Arneiro

    Alter do Chão
    Telephone: 245 61 00 74/60

In the Dam of Herdade of Lameira the practice of water sports is an option to consider.

For other useful information and details check the website: www.cm-alter-chao.pt

© Monte do Cuca. All rights reserved.