Montemor-o-Novo is a Portuguese city, in the District of Évora, Alentejo region and subregion of Central Alentejo, with about 12,000 inhabitants. It is home to one of the largest cities of Portugal, and is subdivided into 10 villages. The city is situated in the villages of Nossa Senhora da Vila and Nossa Senhora do Bispo. In turn, the remaining villages are formed by the places that gave them the name and other small settlements.
The municipality is limited to north by the city of Coruche, east by Arraiolos and Évora, south by Viana do Alentejo and Alcácer do Sal and west by Vendas Novas and one of the territories of the county of Montijo. It is located about 100 km from Lisbon. 
The city of Montemor-o-Novo was built between three mountains, the largest, called the Castle of Montemor-o-Novo, the one of the church of Nossa Senhora da Visitação and the one of Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição.
In economy meat production is its main factor being the county in the country that produces more meat.


Actividades

  • The Wild Mountain, located in Lavre, county of Montemor-o-Novo, there is a space of about 20 hectares, which perfectly combines a leisure park and an animal reserve –the Wild Mountain! A day spent at the Wild Mountain is an unforgettable adventure for old and young people, a fun day and in which you also learn a lot about animals, plants and games in the region. A complete visit to the Wild Mountain goes through three distinct areas: a walking tour, a tractor guide or the participation in the pedagogical project of wild evolution, which aims to educate and sensitize people on environmental issues and biodiversity conservation, stimulating the taste for leisure and learning about the environment, animals and plants.
  • The Shed of the slope of the Castle, with the production of handmade ceramic for construction. The Shed consists of a flat area on dirt, the floor, where the brick and other materials are manufactured and dried in the sun. They are then baked in an oven in Portuguese style - oven of square section, a "direct shot".
  • Center of production of whitewash Caeiras, which until about 30 years ago, was one of the most important producers and distributors of whitewash in the region of Montemor, deriving its name from the existence of several gutters (whitewash ovens) nearby. Large circular ovens, built in brick, where was cooked stone extracted nearby, to make whitewash.
  • Coal furnaces of Escoural, where coal production is a very old activity. Ovens, oval shaped, were made from stacks of wood and cork oak and covered with straw, grass and earth. They were lit in the summer and three to four weeks past the coal was cooked. Currently, most of the coal furnaces are constructed brick and covered with soil. Inside the wood of oak is packed and cooked.


Patrimony

  • The Castle Montemor-o-Novo is located in the village of Nossa Senhora da Vila, municipality of Montemor-o-Novo, district of Évora, Alentejo, Portugal. In a dominant position on the highest hill in the region, the castle originally housed in its walls the town that developing, expanded through the north hillside. It is said that in this castle Vasco da Gama finalized his plans for his trip to India.
  • The Convent of Saint Francis is located in the village of Nossa Senhora da Vila, municipality of Montemor-o-Novo, District of Évora, Portugal, and the exact date of the foundation of this convent is unknown, although some chroniclers indicate the year 1495. The Convent of Saint Francis presents architecture of great simplicity, consisting of the church, whose facade was altered in the seventeenth century, the ancient cloister and the chapter room.
  • The Convent of Nossa Senhora da Saudação, in Nossa Senhora da Vila (Évora), originated in the congregation of some women led by Joana Dias Quadrada that, to practice a life of meditation and devotion, joined without initially obeying the rules of any religious order. However, in 1506, adopted the rule of life of Dominican nuns, being integrated into the Order of Preachers. The construction of the convent should have started in 1502. The main facade of the building retains some architectural features of the time of its foundation. At the entrance of the Ordinance-Mor, former main entrance to the convent, you can still see an armillary sphere, characteristic of Manueline art. The also called "Gate of the nuns' in the convent church is topped by an armillary sphere in high relief.
  • Megalithic monuments scattered all over the county are an important historical record to consider
  • The Escoural Cave is a natural cavity known by Paleolithic cave paintings and burials, located in the Alentejo municipality of Montemor-o-Novo, Portugal. Geologically, the site is located between the watersheds of the Tagus and the Sado rivers, and the region of the Alentejo plains, Mountain range of Monfurado where it is still possible to see the Mountain range of Arrábida. Partially sealed by a thick mantle of stalagmites, the cave is composed of several rooms and galleries. 
  • The first occupation of the cave dates back to the Middle Paleolithic, when groups of Neanderthal hunters and gatherers used it as temporary shelter for hunting. Based on skeletal evidence inside the cave, these groups hunted nearby aurochs, deer and horses. Later, during the Upper Paleolithic (35000-8000 BC), residents, consisting of groups considered anatomically modern left their signature in the cave.
  • Church of St. Brissos is an ancient parish church situated south of the small village of São Brissos, in the village of Santiago Escoural in the municipality of Montemor-o-Novo, Portugal. Church of the sixteenth century of rustic style with regional decorative elements and Manueline and Renaissance influences.
  • The Dolmen of São Brissos, built between the III and IV millennium BC, is situated in the village of Santiago of Escoural in the municipality of Montemor-o-Novo. The dolmen is now transformed into a small chapel, dating from the seventeenth century, and is therefore also known as Dolmen of Nossa Senhora do Livramento and Dolmen Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Livramento.
  • The Nogueirinha Mine is an old iron mine located on the southern slope of the Mountain of Monfurado, in the village of Santiago Escoural, county of Montemor-o-Novo.
  • Bird watching between Montemor-o-Novo and Alcácer do Sal is located one of the best areas, outside protected areas, for bird watching in the south. This is the region of São Cristovão, an area mainly composed of mounted and open fields and a multitude of farm dams, enriching the area in environmental terms and in variety of species, both terrestrial and aquatic. It has already been recorded here about 250 species of birds. And this list only lacks by the small number of birdwatchers who know this region.

    For other useful information check the website: www.cm-montemornovo.pt

© Monte do Cuca. All rights reserved.