The Vimieiro is a village in the municipality of Arraiolos, with a population of about 1,600 inhabitants, comprising the settlements of Bardeira, Venda do Duque and town of Vimieiro. It was the county head between 1257 and 1855. Two charters are known, the first given by D. Martinho Peres, bishop of Évora, in 1257 and the second by D. Manuel I, king of Portugal, in 1512.


Patrimony:
  • The Main Church, in honor of Nossa Senhora da Encarnação do Sobral. A vast temple in Greek cross, with six chapels beyond the chancel, a nave with narrow openings, exterior  porch battlement roof, wide paneled vaulted ceiling, without a single column, whose author is refers to the architect of the Church of S . Francis of Évora (sixteenth century).
  • The Church of the Holy Spirit or the Church of the Holy Spirit Hospital, although smaller, located within the town, also justifies a visit.
  • The Church of Misericórdia de Vimieiro also located within the boundaries of the village, is a visit worth doing.
  • The Convent of St. Francis, resulting from the definition of new boundaries, made in 1574, the community obtained from the municipality, a new piece of land and trees near the convent, already under construction. The house has always lived  in economic difficulties, for lack of religious assistance and private donations so the General of the Order established its closure in recent years of the eighteenth century, and the collection of the few people to the Convent of St.  Francis in Arraiolos . Surrounding the town, we mark the Convent of St. Francis (1554), of which only ruins remain, and other chapels whose building is located between the fourteenth and eighteenth centuries.
  • The Roman Bridge, a monument of Roman origin whose date of construction is unknown. It is one of the most remarkable places of Roman passage in this area.
  • The Palace of the Counts of Vimieiro, an old inn of the sixteenth century, was enlarged by D. Sancho de Faro e Sousa, field marshal and military governor of Estremoz, where he lived with his wife, the illustrious poet Teresa de Melo Breyner.
  • The Obelisk Fountain, a monumental fountain in the gardens of the Palace of the Counts of Vimieiro, neoclassical style, was dedicated to the 4th Countess of Vimieiro, D. Josefa Teresa de Melo Breyner. It consists of a large glass marble, rising from the center on a square basalt base a pedestal adorned with four gargoyles, which supports a pyramid of nine square meters of marble, with a pine cone at the vertex. The low-reliefs of the base of the pyramid are alluding to the Arts, Letters and Sciences. A building of the eighteenth century.
  • The Vimieiro Fountain, is another of the old buildings, of rare beauty is the fountaon that once supplied water to the population of Vimieiro. This fountain was used by women who were washing clothes, because it has a large tank.
  • Old Town Houses, built in the southern angle of the Praça Square, suffered major changes in the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, and considered vacant with the publication of the Decree of 24th October 1885, which extinguished the County, were later transferred by the State, to the Command the National Republican Guard, which occupies it today. The Municipal Archives, gathered in the building, would be almost lost entirely in 1846, during the fire caused by the agitations of the population in Patuleia.
  • The Dolmen of Venda of the Duke, the registration of a megalithic monument in the region of Vila do Vimieiro, is also a focus of historical interest to report.
  • Of note in the history of the village is the Count of Vimieiro, which was a Portuguese title of nobility created by Philip III of Spain in 1614 during the Iberian Union. The toponym related is Vimieiro, former County in the District of Évora and now a village of the municipality of Arraiolos.
  • The second and third counts of Vimieiro were grantees of the captaincy of São Vicente during Colonial Brazil, as well as his mother, Mariana de Sousa Guerra, countess of Vimieiro, from whom were descendants of Martim Afonso de Sousa. The fourth Count of Vimieiro, was viceroy of Brazil from 21st August 1718 to 13th October of the following year. Holders of the title of Count of Vimieiro were, chronologically,  D. Francisco de Faro,  D. Sancho de Faro,  D. Diogo de Sousa Faro,  D. Sancho de Faro e Sousa and D. João de Faro e Sousa.

    For other useful information check the website: www.freguesiavimieiro.com

© Monte do Cuca. All rights reserved.