Montargil is one of the main villages in the municipality of Ponte de Sor. It has about 4000 inhabitants and a long history since it was an independent municipality, until the present day. Today the village is modern and developed. It is situated 27 km from the county head, on the right bank of the river Sor. Its settlement dates back to pre-Roman era, as attested by some objects of pottery and Roman graves.
In S. Martinho, on the left bank of the river Sor traces appeared of an ancient village that should be from the time of the Lusitans. Also in the lugar das Mesas (Montargil mountain) emerged remains of a paved road that is supposed to belong to the Roman road that ran from Lisbon to Merida.

As a village its founding  dates back from the early days of the monarchy. It was D. Dinis, in 1315, which gave the charter letter. Its original name must have been "Mont'Argil" or "Monte Argil" according to “Album Alentejo" from 1937. Others still say that it would come from "Mount Clay", which is more credible because of the terrain on which it stands to be clay.
Montargil was abolished as a municipality in 1855 and then went to the municipality of Avis and from 1871 to Ponte de Sor.


Patrimony:
  • The Megalithic Nucleus of Montargil, where are known nearly four dozen dolmens which provided a significant collection of polished stone, from axes, slate plaques, adzes and flint knives.
  • The Main Church, of a single nave, with an altar of the eighteenth century and the chapel dedicated to sr. dos Paços. Of his estate we should highlight an image of S. Peter and various parameters in wood, a silver custody of the Renaissance, two silver and censer incense boats and three processional crosses, all of the seventeenth century, and represent late-baroque  small and rural churches and chapels in the region, following a simple and humble model.
  • The Montargil Dam, which was one of the largest enterprises in the region in recent years, employing thousands of people during its construction, tourism activities and water sports, in addition to water storage, estimated at about 115 million cubic meters, which is its main strategic function.
  • Built over the Ribeira de Sor, the Montargil Dam is a popular location for tourists who come here to do sports or just camping. This área supports a rich diversity of terrestrial and aquatic birds, so it is a place to visit for any observer. This is one of the few places in the country where you can see the five species of swallows. The area surrounding the dam is mainly composed of pine and cork oak forests, which support a great diversity of forest species.
  • The new Tramaga Mill, located on the left bank of the Sor, recalls the work of dozens of generations of millers which once made the flour for their customers. It is an old mill, although people call it new, because it was certainly the last to be built along the lines of mills located south of the town, between Sobreira and Tramaga.
  • The Pillory of Montargil has two stone steps, of square shape, a column with outstandings, being surmounted by a stone ball.


Local attractions
The gastronomy of the region, crafts objects of wood and cork, sports hunting and fishing activities, in addition to riding are important references of the main centers of tourist attraction in the region.


For other useful information check the website: www.montargil.pt

© Monte do Cuca. All rights reserved.